OneM2M finally launches. I've nothing to add to my views from 6 months ago...

I just got back from a couple of weeks holiday yesterday to find that the official announcement of OneM2M had been made. For those not in the know, the OneM2M Partner Project was established by a group of seven standards development organisations: Japan’s Association of Radio Industries and Businesses (ARIB) and Telecommunication Technology Committee (TTC), the Alliance for Telecommunications Industry Solutions (ATIS) and the Telecommunications Industry Association (TIA) from the US, the China Communications Standards Association (CCSA), the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI), and the Telecommunications Technology Association (TTA) of Korea. The aim is to provide a common set of standards across M2M.

Having seen the announcement I immediately thought I ought to pen a Research Note for our clients. Until I realised that everything interesting to say about it, I'd already included in a piece I published back in January when the initial announcement was made. So, other than announcing a few things related to structure and process I can't honestly see where any progress has really been made in the last 6 months. OK, so I know things take a while to get organised, but this is a very fast moving and diverse field.

The fundamental challenges are the same, including definition (what that hell is M2M anyway?), diversity of application requirements, fragmented existing standards, a diverse range of bearer technologies, backward compatibility with existing deployments, and numerous other things. None of that has been resolved. Establishing a standards body doesn't equal a set of standards. This will only be a great leap forward if OneM2M can overcome these big challenges.

Comments